City Unity College in collaboration with Cardiff Metropolitan University offers the BA International Hospitality & Tourism Management. The main aim of this programme is to produce graduates who have the appropriate knowledge and relevant professional skills to work effectively at middle or senior management levels in the international hospitality and tourism industry. To be effective, managers are required to have a range of abilities in relation both to any specialized areas in which they manage and to the process of managing itself.
The necessary practical skills are developed early in the programme to ensure that students are able to operate quickly and competently within a hospitality and tourism environment. The industry placement is linked to the first two years’ modules as students have an opportunity to apply theoretical knowledge from all modules in a real working hotel environment. Management competencies are developed throughout the programme to provide the tools for assuming greater unit and people responsibility over time. The BA International Hospitality and Tourism Management will contribute towards the acquisition of these abilities through the emphasis it places on vocationally specific knowledge and skills, generic skills, and specific managerial competencies.
Graduates of this programme find employment in hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, clubs, bars, conference and event management, human resources, sales and marketing within hospitality, service and welfare catering, or they may opt to become entrepreneurs managing their own businesses.
In order to produce competent managers, the content of the course will be delivered in a way that encourages active research and learning in order to facilitate the personal development of students through a wide range of teaching and learning strategies, such as case studies, individual assignments, the production and presentation of a strategic business plan, formal examinations and the completion of a 12,000-word dissertation, or an enterprise project, or an independent study.
- Hospitality and Tourism Business Environment
- Rooms Division Operations
- Food & Beverage Service Management
- Finance for Managers
- Management Theory & Practice
- Personal Development Planning
- Business Applications
- Industrial Work Experience
- Customer Service Workshops
- Applied Hotel Operations
- Hospitality Operations & Control Management
- Issues in Culinary Arts Management
- Law and Ethics in Hospitality and Tourism
- Marketing for Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Human Resource Management for Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Industrial Work Experience
- Financial Planning for Business
- Integrated Project
- Applied Hotel Supervision
- International Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Tourism Planning and Development
- Marketing, Advertising, Sales and Public relations for Tourism, Hospitality and Events
- Hotel Logistics
- Entrepreneurship and Business Planning
- Corporate Finance
- Research Methods
- Enterprise Project
- Independent Study
- Revenue Management
All applicants should meet the following conditions:
- Have a high school diploma (or equivalent).
- In exceptional cases there will be an interview or challenge courses or entrance exams or accreditation of prior learning in consultation with the moderator.
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirements