The Company processes your personal data during your employment, while such processing will extend after the completion of such employment, and to the extent required in order for the Company to comply with its legal obligations towards the authorities and/or third parties, to comply to any applicable provisions on the obligatory data retention periods or in order for the Company to support its claims or rights.
BSc (Hons) Psychology
City Unity College, in collaboration with Cardiff Metropolitan University, offers an internationally recognised bachelor’s degree in Psychology.
The BSc (Hons) Psychology programme is designed for high school graduates as well as people who have already completed another university degree in a different field and wish to study to become licensed psychologists.
Psychology is the scientific study of the mind and how it affects our behaviour. It is a scientific field with many applications in health & clinical settings, social services, organizational settings, education etc. The BSc (Hons) Psychology aims to provide high quality studies in psychology and promote the professional development of students. The programme is of great interest for those who wish to work as licensed psychologists in Greece, through the formal recognition of professional qualifications/ rights process of the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs (ATEEN).
Aims of the programme:
Students in the programme will study psychology, emphasizing on its social, cognitive and developmental dimensions. The programme aims to develop critical thinking, quantitative and qualitative skills to help students study and explain human behaviour effectively. The BSc (Hons) Psychology focuses on developing professional skills and promoting continuous professional development.
Duration of the programme:
3 years full-time or 6 years part-time.
Language of programme:
All lectures, teaching material, assignments and exams are in the English language.
After successful completion of the programme, graduates can have their professional rights recognised by the ΑΤΕΕΝ department of the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs and get their license to work as psychologists in Greece in both the public and private sector. More specifically, graduates can work in:
- hospitals and private clinics;
- counselling centres;
- nursing homes;
- schools and organizational contexts;
- drug treatment centres;
- promoting public health and preventing illness;
- research centres;
- their own office, as self-employed psychologists.
Graduates can also undertake postgraduate studies in a wide range of psychology fields (e.g. forensic, health, clinical, exercise, occupational, sports etc.) in Greece and internationally.
Finally, graduates of the programme can apply for the Graduate Basis of Chartered Membership ‘GBC’ of the BPS, on an individual basis, and become practitioner psychologists in the UK, after appropriate training.
The programme is completed in three (full-time) or six (part-time) calendar years. The completion of the programme requires the successful attendance of 15 modules and completion of a Dissertation project (360 credits).
Essential laboratories and material are used during the courses, including video projectors, PCs, and CD players. All students can access the CityU’s online platform (E-Learning) where teaching materials, grades and announcements on all courses are posted. Students enrolled in the BSc (Hons) Psychology also have access to Cardiff Met’s Moodle platform.
Attending the classes is very important for an in-depth understanding of the modules and topics covered. However, in case students are unable to attend one of the lectures, they have access to all teaching materials (e.g. presentation slides, additional materials, information about assessments) through the E-Learning platform of City Unity College.
Due to the special circumstances related to the Covid-19 pandemic, distance learning (i.e. streaming classes) is an option for students, through the college’s E-Learning platform. The platform offers a wide range of options and teaching strategies to ensure the high academic quality of the programmes and promote an excellent and interactive learning experience for the students.
Students also have the option to schedule Skype meetings with their instructors, after contacting them through e-mail, with the permission of the head of the department.
- Lectures: This is the main teaching method in Health Psychology. All module leaders and lecturers make their lecture notes available on City Unity’s virtual learning environment called E-Learning platform and students are able to download material as necessary, though the platform should not be seen as a substitute for attending. Lectures provide an opportunity to deliver a broad overview of a topic and to initiate further research and study by students for tutorials, seminars and private study.
- Case studies: present realistic examples and by studying, researching and discussing them students are expected to gain insights into problems that they might encounter in their professional career.
- Tutorial sessions: are used to reinforce material presented by the other methods and to clear up possible misconceptions. Tutorials enable students to develop their understanding of the subject gained via the lecture and preparatory readings. Tutorials also provide an environment in which a student is able to clarify queries and raise questions about the subject. It is also likely that a student will be asked to prepare presentations and he/she will receive decisive feedback on assessed activities.
- Workshops: Appropriately equipped computer labs and statistical programs are used in the field of statistics and psychometrics.
- Group seminars: Are used to critically discuss topics and issues investigated in the virtual learning classes
- Participation in conference: students participate in conference from their first year of studies, when they get involved with the organization of the annual psychology conference of the department. In their second and third year of studies, they participate with oral and/ or [poster presentations. In this way, students are able to enhance their skills and C.V., have the opportunity to meet experts in their field and exchange ideas with them as well as with their fellow students. Assessment: Written examinations, essays and presentations. Writing essays and assignments allows students to demonstrate their own ideas and understanding of a topic.
- Supervision: The supervisors and the student will form a research team working together in a student-led relationship, which will involve one to one sessions with individual supervisors for the dissertation.
- Directed Reading: Students are expected to undertake significant directed reading in all aspects of the program. All Cardiff Met students, including those studying at a partner institution, have access to the University’s electronic resources.
The programme is completed within 3 (full time) or 6 years (part time) years; each year consists of two semesters. The programme consists of modules with 20 credits each and there is a Dissertation project in the last year of studies, which corresponds to 40 credits.
To conduct the lectures, appropriate equipment is in place consisting of video projectors and computers equipped with appropriate software. The research and statistics modules take place in appropriately equipped labs, within the campus. All students have access to the college library, the CityU E-Learning platform (where all teaching materials are stored) and Cardiff Met’s Moodle platform, which gives access to a wide range of programmes to download as well as access to an electronic library consisting of thousands of books and scientific journals. Students can also access their feedback and grades through Cardiff Met’s Moodle platform.
All courses take place in the campus of City Unity College in the centre of Athens, 15-17 Thiseos Str, Syntagma, 10562. City Unity College also has a campus in Patras.
Under Law 4393/12, European University degrees obtained by attending programs in recognized / accredited Colleges are professionally recognized by the ATEEN Department of the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs in Greece.
- Have a high school diploma (or equivalent) with an average grade of at least 60% of the high school’s highest grade
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirements which are:
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 5.5 (B2 Level) or an online English test to be arranged by the Admissions Department
- Personal Statement (2-3 paragraphs when the applicants talk about themselves and what motivated them to apply for the programme)
- Copy of a national ID card.
- A colour print photograph
- In exceptional cases an interview or challenge courses or entrance exams or accreditation of prior learning will be required in consultation with the programme director and/or head of the department.
- Historical and Conceptual Issues in Psychology (20 Credits)
- Conducting and Communicating Research (40 credits)
- Social and Developmental Psychology (20 credits)
- Fundamentals of Cognition (20 Credits)
- Biological Psychology & Cognitive Neuroscience (20 Credits)
- Professional Development in Psychology (20 Credits)
- Quantitative Research Methods (20 Credits)
- Critical Social and Developmental Psychology (20 Credits)
- Qualitative Research Methods (20 Credits)
- Applied Cognitive and Biological Psychology (20 Credits)
- Optional modules (please choose 1)
- – Health Psychology and Well-Being (20 Credits)
- – Introduction to Forensic Psychology (20 Credits)
- Dissertation Project (40 Credits)
- Optional modules (please choose 4)
- – Professional Practice (20 Credits)
- – Clinical Psychology (20 Credits)
- – Psychological Therapeutic Techniques (20 Credits)
- – Health Behaviour Change (20 Credits)
- – Applied Forensic Psychology (20 Credits)
- Cardiff Met has a Silver Teaching Excellence Framework (TFE) rating (HEFCE 2017)
- The University is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the UK (The Times Good University Guide, The Sunday Times University Guide, The Guardian University Guide, The Independent Complete University Guide)
- Cardiff Met has been ranked the top University in the UK for 'International student support' in the International Student Barometer for six years (ISB 2010-2015)
- Cardiff Met won the Times Higher Education's Most Improved Student Experience Award in 2014
- In 2015 the University was the 3rd most improved UK University in the Complete University Guide list.
- 95% of the graduates are working or continue further studies within six months of graduation (DLHE 2016)
- The program is offered in partnership with one of the largest universities in the UK, Cardiff Metropolitan University, and provides students with the opportunity to attend part of the curriculum in Wales.
- The BSc (Hons) Psychology is recognized by the Greek State and confers eligibility to work as a licensed psychologist in Greece, through the recognition of professional qualifications/ rights process of the ATEEN department of the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs.
- As the programme adheres completely to the British Psychological Society’s (BPS) guidelines, our graduates can apply for the Graduate Basis of Chartered Membership (GBC) on an individual basis.
- The teaching staff of the department are all psychologists with many years of teaching and working experience, specialized in different fields in psychology, possessing postgraduate and/ or PhD level degrees. All lecturers are also practitioner psychologists, promoting thus an integration between theory, research and practice.
- Students study a wide range of topics and sub-fields in psychology (e.g. clinical, health, forensic, occupational, social, statistics etc.), while emphasis is placed on applying theory to practice.
- Students have the opportunity to undertake their professional training in a wide range of placements that the college collaborates with (e.g. hospitals, clinics, counselling centres etc.).
- The CityU Counselling Centre offers students the opportunity to undertake training under appropriate supervision and enhance their personal and professional skills. Students also have access to free tutoring through the centre, to further enhance their learning experience and overall well-being.
- Students have free access to thousands of books and scientific journals through Cardiff Met’s electronic library.
- Students can enrol at the Psychology Department’s Research Centre as research associates and participate in international conferences and publications in scientific journals with high impact factors.
- The college facilitates students’ participation in conferences held in Greece and internationally. Also, the department has an annual psychology conference, where students are encouraged to present their work and exchange views and opinions with fellow students and professionals.
- Students are also encouraged to participate in a wide range of events and action plans, as well as seminars and webinars organized by the Psychology Department which aims at promoting the continuous professional development of the students.
- Graduates can undertake postgraduate studies in Greece and internationally. After a successful application for the GBC, they can also study BPS accredited postgraduate degrees (Stage 1) to complete their training (Stage 2) and become chartered members of the Society and practitioner psychologists registered with the Health & Care Professions Council in the UK.
- 92% of our graduates are employed or/ and attending postgraduate studies within 1 year of their graduation. 90% of our graduates have evaluated the academic quality of the programme and their learning experience as excellent.