Το City Unity College σε συνεργασία με το Cardiff Metropolitan University προσφέρει προπτυχιακό πρόγραμμα σπουδών στην Ψυχολογία.
BSc (Hons) Education, Psychology and Special Needs
City Unity College, in collaboration with Cardiff Metropolitan University, offers the BSc (Hons) Education, Psychology and special Needs programme, which is recognized by the A.T.E.E.N. department of the Greek Ministry of Education, Lifelong learning and Religious Affairs.
The combination of Education (across the life span), Psychology and Special Educational Needs provides a distinctive and attractive degree both for prospective students and employers. It provides an ideal platform to explore in detail educational theory, Special Needs policy and practice, underpinning psychological perspectives in both areas, as well as a focus on relevant psychological and educational theory and research. The programme will enhance the graduate employability prospects of students through its unique psychological perspective on education and special education, thus developing critical, analytic and problem-solving thinking skills valued by employers. Other valuable ‘soft skills’ developed on the course include communication skills, emotional intelligence and empathy, and team-working skills. There will be opportunities on the course for students to evidence the development of these skills by successfully completing additional qualifications, for example in listening skills, coaching and mentoring, and sign language.
It is well-established that employers look positively on graduates with relevant work experience. With this in mind, there is a significant work experience element on the course, so that by completion students will have completed at least 100 hours work placement across all three years. This can act as good preparation for work by encouraging self-reflection of skills and attributes and generally raising awareness of the workplace. Students will have the opportunity to apply and where appropriate challenge what they have learned on the course. Work experience also demonstrates a degree a motivation and determination on the part of the student.
Στόχος του Προγράμματος
Στη διάρκεια αυτού του τριετούς προγράμματος οι φοιτητές θα μελετήσουν τη ψυχολογία με έμφαση στις κοινωνικές, γνωσιακές και αναπτυξιακές διαστάσεις της. Το πρόγραμμα θα αναπτύξει ποσοτικές και ποιοτικές κριτικές ικανότητες οι οποίες θα δώσουν τη δυνατότητα στους σπουδαστές να προβλέπουν και να εξηγούν την ανθρώπινη συμπεριφορά. Το πρόγραμμα εμβαθύνει στην ανάπτυξη επαγγελματικών δεξιοτήτων και την άριστη κατάρτιση των αποφοίτων του
3 χρόνια full-time ή 6 χρόνια part-time
Όλα τα μαθήματα, οι εργασίες και οι εξετάσεις πραγματοποιούνται στην Αγγλική γλώσσα
The minimum requirements for enrollment in the Master’s degree program are:
A Bachelor degree awarded by another approved degree awarding body (2:2 or higher) or A non-graduate qualification which is deemed to be of satisfactory standard for admission into the postgraduate program
Students who do not hold such qualifications will be assessed for their suitability through an interview and, where necessary, through references.
Non-graduates who lack formal qualifications (ie: formal qualifications which marginally fall short of the normal minimum entry requirements) will have to compensate for by his/her relevant professional experience, provided that these candidates have held for a minimum of five (5) years, a key position relevant to the Master’s degree they wish to pursue.
There are quality assurance measures taken at program, school and institutional level to ensure standards are consistently met.
Why choose the program?
The program is offered in cooperation with one of the largest universities in United Kingdom, Cardiff Metropolitan University, and provides students with the opportunity to attend part of the curriculum in the UK.
The professors of the Department of Psychology are prominent psychologists and researchers, while each one is a distinguished instructor on the subject he/she teaches.
The program is offered full-time (3 years) or part-time (6 years).
Students have the opportunity to intern in various institutions/organizations, which partner with City Unity College.
Ambitious students can participate in international conferences held in Greece and abroad, while the annual Psychology Conference and Psychology Seminars and Workshops organized by City Unity College enable students to enrich their CVs with scientific publications and strengthen their job qualifications.
For the personal development and well-being of our students free counseling and tutoring is offered on all issues related to their academic development.
- Cardiff Met has a Silver Teaching Excellence Framework (TFE) rating (HEFCE 2017).
- The University is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the UK (The Times Good University Guide, The Sunday Times University Guide, The Guardian University Guide, The Independent Complete University Guide).
- Cardiff Met has been ranked the top University in the UK for 'International student support' in the International Student Barometer for six years (ISB 2010-2015).
- Cardiff Met won the Times Higher Education's Most Improved Student Experience Award in 2014.
- In 2015, the University was the 3rd most improved UK University in the Complete University Guide list.
- 95% of the graduates are working or continue further studies within six months of graduation (DLHE 2016).
- The programme is recognized by the Greek State through the recognition of professional qualifications/ rights process of the A.T.E.E.N. department of the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs.
- The teaching staff of the department are all psychologists with many years of teaching and working experience, specialized in different fields in psychology, possessing postgraduate and/ or PhD level degrees. All lecturers are also practitioner psychologists or work in Education field several years, promoting thus an integration between theory, research and practice.
- Students study a wide range of topics and sub-fields in psychology and education, while emphasis is placed on applying theory to practice.
- Students have the opportunity to undertake their professional training in a wide range of placements that the college collaborates with (e.g. hospitals, clinics, counselling centres, special needs schools etc.).
- The programme is offered in partnership with one of the largest universities in the UK, Cardiff Metropolitan University, and provides students with the opportunity to attend part of the curriculum in Wales.
- Students have free access to thousands of books and scientific journals through Cardiff Met’s electronic library.
- Students may enroll at the Psychology Department’s Research Centre as research associates and participate in international conferences and publications in scientific journals with high impact factors.
- The college facilitates students’ participation in conferences held in Greece and internationally. Also, the department has an annual conference, where students are encouraged to present their work and exchange views and opinions with fellow students and professionals.
- Students are also encouraged to participate in a wide range of events and action plans, as well as seminars and webinars organized by the Psychology Department, which aim at promoting their continuous professional development.
- Graduates can undertake postgraduate studies in Greece and internationally.
- 92% of our graduates are employed and/ or attending postgraduate studies within 1 year of their graduation. 90% of our graduates have evaluated the academic quality of the programme and their learning experience as excellent.
- The CityU Counselling Centre offers students the opportunity to undertake training under appropriate supervision and enhance their personal and professional skills. Students also have access to free tutoring through the centre, to further enhance their learning experience and overall well-being.
- Students at City Unity College have the unique opportunity to study in a truly multicultural environment. The high academic quality and flexibility of the programmes, in addition to the opportunities for personal and professional development, lead to each City Unity College degree being a guarantee of knowledge and professional training on an international level.
Under Law 4093/12, European University degrees obtained by attending programmes in recognized / accredited Colleges are professionally recognized by the A.T.E.E.N. Department of the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs in Greece.
The programme is completed within 3 (full time) or 6 years (part time) academic years; each year consists of two semesters. The programme consists of modules with 20 credits each and there is a Dissertation project in the last year of studies, which corresponds to 40 credits.
To conduct the lectures, appropriate equipment is in place consisting of video projectors and computers equipped with appropriate software. The research and statistics modules take place in appropriately equipped labs, within the campus. All students have access to the college library, the CityU E-Learning platform (where all teaching materials are stored) and Cardiff Met’s Moodle platform, which gives access to a wide range of programmes to download as well as access to an electronic library consisting of thousands of books and scientific journals. Students can also access their feedback and grades through Cardiff Met’s Moodle platform.
After successful completion of the programme, graduates can have their professional rights recognized by the Α.Τ.Ε.Ε.Ν. department of the Ministry of Education, Lifelong Learning and Religious Affairs and get their license to work as psychologists in Greece in both the public and private sector. More specifically, graduates can work in:
- Counselling centres;
- Special Needs Centers
- Special Needs Schools
- Research centres;
- Their own office, as self-employed psychologists.
Graduates can also undertake postgraduate studies in a wide range of psychology and Education field in Greece and internationally.
To register to the BSc (Hons) Education, Psychology and special needs students need to:
- Have a high school diploma (or equivalent)
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirements
- In exceptional cases an interview or challenge courses or entrance exams or accreditation of prior learning will be required in consultation with the programme director and/or head of the department.
If the applicants do not meet the registration requirements regarding English competence, they can attend intensive English courses at City Unity College, adjusted to their level and needs.
Applicants will need to submit their file, consisting of the following documents:
- A copy of their ID card, A copy of their high school degree, certificate of English competence certificate & personal statement.
The applicant’s file is evaluated by the programme director and is then forwarded to Cardiff Metropolitan University. Once their registration is complete, students will receive their a. student id card, and b. credentials to access Cardiff Metropolitan University’s Moodle and e-library platform.
All courses take place in our campus in the centre of Athens, 15-17 Thiseos Str, Syntagma, 10562.
The Career Center, which operates at City Unity College with the support of a network of partner companies, aims to connect students to the labor market. The Career Center organizes seminars on effective C.V. writing and how to conduct an interview as well as workshops during which students get in touch with representatives of companies specializing in a wide range of areas.
- Access to Cardiff Metropolitan University’s e-library;
- Access to international e-libraries;
- Access to and use of electronic resources through City Unity College’s e-library.
Academic and technical support
- Support by a personal tutor for the duration of the studies;
- Opportunities to participate in professional seminars;
- Access to the online learning platform, the E-Learning Platform, of City Unity College;
- Student email account (e-mail @gr);
- Technical support to students by appropriately qualified staff, through phone or e-mail;
- Opportunity to participate in the CityU Psychology Research Center;
- Opportunity to take part in conferences and publications in international journals.
- Opportunities to participate in day trips;
- Opportunities to participate in cultural & artistic events;
- Opportunity to participate in social philanthropy events.
- Free access to Microsoft software through the Microsoft Dreams park service (Microsoft Office , Microsoft Windows );
- Free internet access in our labs;
- Free Wi-Fi access on campus;
- Free access to the SPSS software for statistical analyses.
- (EPS4008) – Engaging with Learning and Research 1 (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS4016) – The developing Child (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS4015) – Additional Learning Needs and Inclusive Practice (Semester:Yearly) (Credits:40)
- (EPS4011) – The Nature of Education (Semester: Spring) (Credits:20)
- (EPS4014) – Empowering and Safeguarding Children and Young People (Semester: Spring) (Credits:20)
- *Total Required Credits for year 1: 120 credits
- (EPS5010) – Social Behaviour and Communication (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS5014) – Education and Equality (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS5012) – Investigating Behaviour (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS5009) – Work Placement (Semester: Spring) (Credits:20)
- (EPS5013) – Explaining Diversity in Education (Semester: Spring) (Credits:20)
- (EPS5011) – Thinking and Learning (Semester: Spring) (Credits:20)
- *Total Required Credits for year 2: 120 credits
- (EPS6004) – Future of Education (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS6015) – Issues and debates in ALN, Disabilities and Inclusion (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS6016) – Understanding Learner Behaviour (Semester: Fall) (Credits:20)
- (EPS6017) – Emerging Themes in Psychology and Education (Semester: Spring) (Credits:20)
- (EPS6014) – Independent Research Project (Semester: Spring) (Credits:40)
- *Total Required Credits for year 3: 120 credits
- ** Degree Credits Requirements: 360 credits