The Company processes your personal data during your employment, while such processing will extend after the completion of such employment, and to the extent required in order for the Company to comply with its legal obligations towards the authorities and/or third parties, to comply to any applicable provisions on the obligatory data retention periods or in order for the Company to support its claims or rights.
BSc in Orthodox Theology and Human Studies
To provide graduate students with comprehensive theological education and structured scientific training
Duration of studies
four (4) years full-time studies
Language of instruction
All teaching and exams are presented in Greek.
Why choose the program
Students are trained by teachers who are specialized in their teaching subject.
The program includes a diploma thesis in the final year of studies, helping students to practice their knowledge in accordance with the ethics of academic writing.
Theoretical training takes place in the modern facilities of City Unity College, in the heart of Athens, along with some practical lessons (eg Byzantine music).
Modern college computer labs enable each and every student to utilize our modern computer labs in campus, for their research and learning needs on theology. Each student works on a personal computer.
Graduates are awarded a degree in Orthodox Theology and Humanities (BSc in Theology and Human Studies).
Graduates can work professionally in the field of theology, Church activities and social services.
Graduates are given the opportunity to continue their studies for a Masters and Doctoral degree at a University abroad.
The duration of the program is 4 years and each academic year begins in October, and is divided in 2 semesters, winter and spring. An exam period follows at the end of each semester on the specific semester’s courses.
In the early semesters students are taught mainly introductory courses, and in subsequent semesters they are led to deeper theological concepts and focus in the consolidation of knowledge, research and practical application of theoretical knowledge and concepts through practical courses.
The courses are based on essential areas of Orthodox theology and Human Studies and cover the following academic disciplines:
- Practical sector
- Systematic sector
- Interpretative sector
- Historical sector
- Humanity sector
The program is accompanied by the teaching of ancient and modern Greek language so that students can study and utilize the origins of theology as well as express themselves in a sound and substantiated scientific way.
In addition to courses in the field of theology and humanities, students are invited to indulge on the principles of modern pedagogy. Further, students are taught the teaching methodology of courses in religion studies and upon graduation are called to make a presentation on how to teach a course on religion.
In addition to providing knowledge, the program cultivates students’ skills related to the interpretative approach to texts, critical thinking, synthesis skills, the desire for lifelong learning and the search for ways of practicing the gospel and ecclesiastical tradition in the modern world. Helping towards this direction are important subjects of the program such as "Pastoral Psychology", "Social Dimension of Theology", "Mission" and "Contemporary Christian Counseling".
Students delve deeply in the courses of Orthodox Theology and Human Studies gradually, so that they are able to assimilate the subject and to have the appropriate background to understand the new specialized teaching. Lessons related to each other are characterized as "chains". Students need to successfully complete their studies in each course/chain in order to continue their studies in the next course of this particular cognitive chain.
A thesis is mandatory and needs to meet the rules and ethics of scientific writing. The final grade of the course emphasizes the research methods used, as well as the form, structure, content, extent, bibliography and references of the thesis
Students are trained in such a way that by successfully completing their studies they are able to carry out responsible religious work and provide useful services to various educational, social and charitable activities, always guided by the Love of Jesus.
All academic programs take place in our facilities at City Unity College, in the center of Athens, 15 – 17 Thisseos, Syntagma 10562.
Graduates may continue their studies in a postgraduate program. At the same time, they can work in the public or private sector, as well as for the Church and society at large.
Indicatively, following are some relevant employment sectors:
- Religious mission work in Church Institutions and Organizations
- Greater public sector
- Publishing houses
- Printed press
- Electronic press
- Public non-profit Organizations
- Charity Institutions
Under PD 38/2010, Law 3696/2008, Law 4093/2012, European University degrees obtained by attending programs in recognized / accredited Colleges are professionally recognized by the Council for the Recognition of Professional Qualifications (SAEP) of the Ministry of Education.
To enroll in the program, prospective students must meet the following requirements:
- A Greek high school or secondary education diploma or equivalent degree from abroad with an average grade of at least 60% of the high school’s highest grade
- Be selected by the College's competent committee, based on the candidates' qualification requirements or their successful oral or written entrance examination.
Candidate students from third countries must also have the Greek language certification of at least level B2
If Candidate students do not have a Greek language certification at the minimum level (B2), they have the opportunity to attend preparatory Greek language courses in institutions co-operating with our college.
To enroll in the program, students have to submit a file with the following documents:
- A certified photocopy of a high school diploma or equivalent from Greece or abroad, with an average grade of at least 60% of the high school’s highest grade.
- A certified photocopy of police-issued ID card / (a certified photocopy of passport for foreign-country nationals)
- Three (3) recent color photos (ID type)
- A brief, recent CV
- A recommendation letter from the candidate’s parish priest
- Swiss higher education is top ranked with an established high reputation for excellence. According to "Universitas 21 (U21) Ranking of National Higher Education Systems between 2012 and 2018", Swiss education in relation to the US and the UK holds the 2nd rank among 50 countries.
- It is the official partner of QS Zurich AG (Swiss Certification Authority) for the design, implementation and audit of educational programs and training in Business Administration (Public Administration, Tourism and Hospitality).
- It is the official partner of DeuZert, a founding member of IFCES, with ISO 29990 in Education, on the management of educational quality for higher / university education.
- The European University EurAka applies strict criteria in selecting partner universities around the world to ensure the implementation of high standards of education and practical training of the Swiss higher education system.
- It prepares graduates with skills, knowledge and abilities, specifically sought by employers worldwide and thus provides graduates with access to highly attractive international job opportunities.
- It offers Student Value + the optional ISO 17024 personal certification as an integral part of various programs of studies.
- It is a pioneer in scientific research by applying holistic and interdisciplinary approaches in a constantly changing world.
- For the first time Swiss certified programs are presented in Greece, offering the quality of Swiss education in the Greek language.
- Graduates of the 4-year program obtain a BSc in Theology and Human Studies.
- Great value for money / program quality to annual tuition.
- Seminars / workshops with prestigious speakers, offer strong motivation and significant experiences to students.
- The courses are a great combination of theory and practice, as students are actively involved in the learning process.
- Continuous cooperation between teachers and students through an e-platform that provides educational material so that students can effortlessly and methodically plan their way of studying.
- The program in Orthodox Theology and Human Studies is staffed by distinguished professors and researchers with many years of experience in their field.
- Comprehensive education is provided in combination with the development of appropriate skills to enable graduates to be directly integrated into the professional environment.
- Students are thoroughly acquainted with the teaching of Orthodox theology and how it answers both the timeless human spiritual quests and to the needs of modern multicultural and globalized reality.