City Unity College, in cooperation with Cardiff Metropolitan University, offers an undergraduate program in Accounting.
The general objectives of the program are for students to develop basic knowledge, understanding and skills that will enable them to start their career as accountants and financial advisors. At the same time, the curriculum provides an excellent opportunity for students to advance their career at both postgraduate and professional levels. Students are taught both the English and the Greek Accounting Plan, since a significant number of courses is designed to cover both international practices and local needs.
Why choose the program?
- Accounting is a rapidly evolving industry
- It is a field of great demand in competitive international labor markets such as EU, USA, UAE, etc. Many graduates already work abroad.
- It combines practical and theoretical knowledge that help to understand modern types of business financing
- Professors and instructors have vast experience in the financial industry and many of them hold professional certifications (ACCA, CIA, etc.).
- The Program’s courses partially cover the content of the above international certifications.
- Cardiff Met has a Silver Teaching Excellence Framework (TFE) rating (HEFCE 2017)
- The University is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the UK (The Times Good University Guide, The Sunday Times University Guide, The Guardian University Guide, The Independent Complete University Guide)
- Cardiff Met has been ranked the top University in the UK for 'International student support' in the International Student Barometer for six years (ISB 2010-2015)
- Cardiff Met won the Times Higher Education's Most Improved Student Experience Award in 2014
- In 2015, CMET was the 3rd most improved UK University in the Complete University Guide list.
- 95% of the graduates are working or continue further studies within six months of graduation (DLHE 2016)
• Collaboration with high quality British university degree programs – highly rated UK Universities (CMET)
• The programs are taught in English.
• Classes are taught by experienced professors who have very good connections in the market
• Highly competitive tuition fees - good value for money
• Courses are a combination of theory and practical studies, with active students’ participation
• Multicultural environment which gives students the opportunity for an international networking
• The College organizes workshops and seminars with guest speakers from the industry, providing great incentives for the students
• The CUC Business Club is a dynamic alumni body for graduates to create and develop mutual interpersonal connections and networking
• Interdisciplinary synergies with other departments (Psychology, Computer Science) in various projects and researches
• Close cooperation between CMET and CUC through an elaborate process that ensures the soundness and quality of education.
• Excellent collaboration between instructors and students through an Intranet that provides all the educational material on time, so students can schedule their study time.
• Psychological support from the Business Department faculty in cooperation with the Psychology Department, to all students throughout their studies.
The program is offered for a full-time 3-year period or a part-time 5-year period. At each degree level, students must successfully complete 120 credits. During the 1st year (Level 4), students obtain a broad knowledge of the fundamental concepts and methods of accounting, finance and other issues in which students should have fundamental knowledge and skills. Likewise, for the 2nd and 3rd year of studies (Levels 5 and 6), the content of the modules is appropriately designed so that students develop the knowledge of these concepts and methods at a more advanced level.
1st Year (Level 4): The program aims to enable students to acquire an elementary knowledge and understanding of the basic, current technical terminology and practices of accounting and finance. Basic skills include the understanding fundamental accounting principles using modern mathematical and statistical tools as well as the experience students will gain through group work and the development of oral presentation skills. Finally, in their 1st year of studies, students will understand the role of Accounting and Finance in the wider international political and economic environment.
2nd Year (Level 5): During the 2nd year we aim for students to acquire more analytical skills and to be able to easily evaluate various financial and accounting information for the creation and assessment of financial statements, indexes, etc.
3rd Year (Level 6): The modules (taxation, audit, etc.) relate to the technical competence of the student, who is expected to show greater analytical skills, as well as the ability to use critical and analytical thinking, depending on the situation.
After successful completion of the program, the student will be awarded the BA (Hons) degree in Accounting and Finance, directly from Cardiff Metropolitan University.
The program is not offered as distance learning, so students must be present in class. Furthermore, students can schedule additional meetings (either in person or electronically) with professors/tutors during office hours or via email, etc. All students should participate in compulsory tests/exams and assignments depending on course description.
|LEVEL 4 :||
Business in Global Context
Global Financial Services
Quantitative Methods for Accountants
|LEVEL 5 :||
Corporate and Business Law
Audit and Assurance
|LEVEL 6 :||
Advanced Financial Management
Advanced Financial Reporting
Audit and Corporate Governance
Advanced Performance Management
Students can design, with their professors’ assistance, their method of studying. At the same time, the course structure and the various teaching methods have been designed to support this practice. Micro-teaching is encouraged through the use of specific international practices such as case studies, while practical training is complemented by the use of appropriate materials, videos, computer software, etc.
The teaching material is presented through a mix of lectures, seminars and workshops.
Lectures are an important part of the program’s teaching strategy as well as an effective way of presenting the educational material in an interactive, collaborative way.
- Tutorial meetings
These sessions are intended to cover issues that cannot be done within a classroom time framework and are provided to assist students with any questions they may have. These meetings may be about:
- Solving practical issues that arise from the curriculum
- Resolving questions
Seminars may involve meetings of a student or group of students with their professors in order to present a project or a work within the scope of a course; students of different levels may attend the seminars. This strategy is used to openly transfer knowledge to all students regardless of their level, thus enhancing the student-centered approach the City Unity College faculty puts special emphasis on.
Laboratories are widely used in a number of modules throughout the program. In these classes students are able to practice and improve their skills in a supportive environment by faculty members. Laboratories are the transition from theory to practice.
- Case studies
Case studies are a fundamental teaching and learning strategy, as well as an evaluation tool where students present and elaborate on real or virtual complex issues, which are required to analyze in detail and then compose their answers in writing or orally.
- Lectures by distinguished speakers
From time to time, market and business people are invited to update students on current issues related to their studies and to offer a practical understanding and connections with the labor market.
All academic programs take place in our facilities at City Unity College, in the center of Athens, Thisseos str 15-17, Syntagma 10562
Under Law 4393/12, European University degrees obtained by attending programs in recognized / accredited Colleges are professionally recognized by the Council for the Recognition of Professional Qualifications (SAEP) of the Ministry of Education
Upon graduation, students may continue their studies at postgraduate level and participate in the international certifications of Accounting and Finance (ACCA, CFA, CIA, etc.).
Graduates may work as executives in financial institutions, banks, financial departments of large companies or as financial advisors in consulting companies etc. The demand for such executives in combination with a postgraduate or professional title is great both in Greece and abroad
All applicants should meet the following conditions:
For undergraduate programs all applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have a high school diploma (or equivalent) with an average grade of at least 60% of the high school’s highest grade
- In exceptional cases an interview or challenge courses or entrance exams or accreditation of prior learning will be required in consultation with the director of the department.
- Meet the English Language Proficiency Requirements which are:
- Graduation from a high school in an English-speaking country (where the teaching language was English).
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) 5.5 (B2 Level),
- An online English test to be arranged by the Admissions