The Master in Health Psychology is designed for graduates who wish to pursue a career in the specific sector. While all health professionals are eligible to attend the program, only psychology graduates are eligible for the BPS accreditation. All students must attend 6 compulsory modules in order to obtain a MSc Health Psychology degree.
Aims of the programme :
The programme focuses on the impact of biological, psychological and social factors on promoting health and preventing illness, main targets of governmental policies across the E.U., through changing health behaviours. The programme offers high quality training and graduates can work in a wide range of areas, such as hospitals, educational settings, occupational settings, research centres, rehabilitation centres etc., using their knowledge and psychological skills to promote health and well-being.
The MSc is accredited by the British Psychological Society and is recognized by A.T.E.E.N. (Greek Ministry of Education). It is especially designed for psychology graduates, nurses, physicians, dieticians, physiotherapists and other health professionals.
Through the MSc, graduates are equipped with the necessary skills to excel in their career in Greece as well as internationally. The MSc places strong emphasis on the continuous personal and professional development of students and our graduates have gone on to complete doctoral level qualifications and register with the Health & Care Professions Council as practitioner health psychologists and as Chartered Members of the British Psychological Society.
Indicative Content :
An indicative content of the programme is:
- The study of biological (& neurological), psychological and social factors and their impact on health and well-being
- The development, implementation and evaluation of health behavior change interventions (e.g. smoking cessation) on an individual and a community/ population (e.g. action plans/ campaigns) level
- Chronic illness management
- Pain management
- Training in a wide range of techniques and skills (e.g. CBT, relaxation techniques, behaviour change techniques, coaching, pain management, counselling skills, training in psychometrics etc.)
- Training in developing, conducting and evaluating research projects through the use of the SPSS and N-Vivo software, that students have access to through Cardiff Met.
Career Opportunities :
The MSc Health Psychology graduates can work in a wide range of areas, such as:
- In hospitals and clinics, in collaboration with other health professionals
- In neurologic and psychiatric clinics (with appropriate training after the MSc)
- In the educational system, developing and conducting school-based interventions to promote children’s health
- In occupational settings, as consultants to develop and conduct programmes in order to promote employee’s health and productivity
- In rehabilitation centres
- With athletes, e.g. coaching
- In designing governmental action plans to promote public health/ prevent illness
- In health communication, adhering to the E.U. guidelines
- In research centres, using the high quality research skills they have gained during the MSc
- In private practice, providing a wide range of services (e.g. chronic illness management, stress/ anxiety management, chronic pain management, counselling, behaviour change, grief/ loss coping skills, psychological support etc.)
Why choose the program :
- The masters’ program in Health Psychology is the first MSc in Health Psychology offered outside UK that has received international recognition from the BPS.
- The program is offered in partnership / cooperation with one of the largest universities in the UK, Cardiff Metropolitan University, and provides students with the opportunity to attend part of the curriculum in Wales.
- After completion of the program, graduates / psychologists receive automatically Stage 1 from BPS and may continue to Stage2, which gives them authorization /permission to work in all European countries as well in many other states, as registration in the BPS is one of the key requirements asked for a job by the largest educational and research organizations and companies that recruit psychologists.
- Graduates are given the opportunity to continue their studies for a Ph.D. at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- Training takes place in the modern facilities of City Unity College, in the heart of Athens, where students have the opportunity to practice in the modern psychometrics lab of the college.
- Modern computer labs enable every student to work on a personal computer, a prerequisite for the effective understanding and learning of statistical science.
- The postgraduate program has developed a partnership with major hospitals and NGOs in which students have the opportunity to do their graduate training / internship, as well as to prepare their thesis under supervision.
- City Unity College organizes an annual Health Psychology Symposium, as well as workshops and seminars in Health Psychology, with the participation of Cardiff Met; this enables students to enrich their CV with research papers/publications to strengthen their job qualifications.
- Students are trained in cognitive behavioral techniques, stress management techniques, communication and counseling skills, and the creation, delivery and evaluation of psychometric scales, thus offering the best value for money tuition.
- Students have the opportunity to train next to Greek and foreign scholars that have many years of experience in Psychology, Health Psychology and Research, as well as in teaching adults.
- Cardiff Met has a Silver Teaching Excellence Framework (TFE) rating (HEFCE 2017)
- The University is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the UK (The Times Good University Guide, The Sunday Times University Guide, The Guardian University Guide, The Independent Complete University Guide)
- Cardiff Met has been ranked the top University in the UK for 'International student support' in the International Student Barometer for six years (ISB 2010-2015)
- Cardiff Met won the Times Higher Education's Most Improved Student Experience Award in 2014
- In 2015 the University was the 3rd most improved UK University in the Complete University Guide list.
- 95% of the graduates are working or continue further studies within six months of graduation (DLHE 2016)
- At City Unity College you are given the opportunity to acquire an MSc in Health Psychology, which offers students the skills and knowledge required to have a successful academic and professional career.
- The MSc Health Psychology program complies with the criteria and recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO) and is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- The City Unity College's Psychology Department is staffed by distinguished professors and researchers
- During their studies, students are trained and educated continuously on issues of their profession, they are familiarized with research by participating in research programs, they have the opportunity to participate in international conferences held in Greece and abroad, and form a substantial professional identity.
The program is completed in a calendar year (full-time) or in up to 3 years (part-time). The completion of the program requires the successful attendance of courses (equivalent to 180 credits) and a dissertation. Essential laboratories and material are used during the courses, including video projectors, PCs, and CD players. All students can access the online platform INTRANET where teaching materials, grades and announcements on all courses are posted.
- Research Methods and Design
- Health Psychology and the Health Psychologist
- Changing Health Behaviour
- Chronic Illness, Stress and Pain
- Biopsychosocial Issues in Health
- Dissertation Proposal
- Lectures: This is the main teaching method in Health Psychology. All module leaders and lecturers make their lecture notes available on City Unity’s virtual learning environment called Moodle and students are able to download material as necessary, though Moodle should not be seen as a substitute for attending. Lectures provide an opportunity to deliver a broad overview of a topic and to initiate further research and study by students for tutorials, seminars and private study.
- Directed Reading: Students are expected to undertake significant directed reading in all aspects of the program. All Cardiff Met students, including those studying at a partner institution, have access to the University’s electronic resources. Guidelines on accessing these resources are available at: http://tsr.cardiffmet.ac.uk/Learning/Library/eleclib/Pages/default.aspx
- Tutorial sessions: are used to reinforce material presented by the other methods and to clear up possible misconceptions. Tutorials enable students to develop their understanding of the subject gained via the lecture and preparatory readings. Tutorials also provide an environment in which a student is able to clarify queries and raise questions about the subject. It is also likely that a student will be asked to prepare presentations and he/she will receive decisive feedback on assessed activities.
- Case studies: present realistic examples and by studying, researching and discussing them students are expected to gain insights into problems that they might encounter in their professional carrer.
- Group seminars: Are used to critically discuss topics and issues investigated in the virtual learning classes
- Workshops: Computer labs and statistical programs are used in the field of statistics
- Supervision: The supervisors and the student will form a research team working together in a student-led relationship, which will involve one to one sessions with individual supervisors for the dissertation.
- Assessment: Written examinations, essays and presentations. Writing essays and assignments allows students to demonstrate their own ideas and understanding of a topic.
All academic programs take place in our facilities at City Unity College, in the center of Athens, 15-17 Thisseos str, Syntagma 10562.
Under Law 4393/12, European University degrees obtained by attending programs in recognized / accredited Colleges are professionally recognized by the Council for the Recognition of Professional Qualifications (SAEP) of the Ministry of Education
Graduates of MSc Health Psychology can work in both the private and public sector in fields such as:
- In clinics
- In programs promoting public health
- Conducting scientific research
- In organizations dealing with health prevention
- As specialists in issues related to human behavior and illness, as well to health care
- As self-employed professionals providing consulting services
For Psychology graduates who wish to acquire BPS stage 1, it is mandatory to attend 85% of the courses.
The content for all courses per module and the presentations made during the course as well as corresponding bibliography are posted on the online platform allowing every student to study even if he/she is not present in the classroom.
Students have also the opportunity to contact their professor/instructor through e-mail and ask for supervision calling for an appointment for up to one hour per course. This is not permitted for the statistics course, since it requires the student’s presence in workshops, unless the student already has a sound knowledge of statistical analysis.
To enroll in the program, prospective students must meet the following requirements:
- Certificate of university degree
- Proof of English language proficiency
- In special individual cases it may be necessary to conduct an interview or attend specific courses or pass exams or have your previous studies and work experience evaluated
If the requirements for English proficiency are not met, intensive English courses are provided at City Unity College, depending on the level of each prospective student.